Into The Archives: CBD - Series 1 Darling Harbour
In the digitally-dominated, fast paced world we live in today, sometimes it’s nice to slow down and reflect on the simpler times of yesteryear, remembering the roots and past lives of our surroundings. Series 1 will take a look at the long development of Darling Harbour and its surrounds.
IMAGE 1 - Aerial view over Pyrmont Bridge and Darling Harbour - 1873
In 1873, Sydney photographer Francis W Robinson undertook a perilous ascent of the clocktower of Sydney Town Hall, then nearing completion as the tallest structure in Sydney. This image is one of nine photos making up a panorama. The image offers a north west view of Pyrmont, Pyrmont Bridge, Darling Harbour and Balmain in the distance. Ships and boats at the wharves are visible. Sussex Street cuts across at centre.
IMAGE 2 - Darling Harbour Wharves and City Skyline - 1932
View looking from Pyrmont to the Darling Harbour wharves. Ships docked. Showing ships, the wharf, bridge and smoke. Sign for Cold Storage at right.
IMAGE 3 - Pyrmont Bridge - Swing Bridge - 1937
View south east of Pyrmont Bridge from Pyrmont on western side of Darling Harbour, with the swing span opened for ships. Constructed between 1899 and 1902, Pyrmont Bridge was one of the first bridges in the world to have its swing span operated by electricity.
IMAGE 4 - Aerial view of Western Distributor, Cockle Bay and Darling Harbour, 1982
Looking west across Cockle Bay to Pyrmont, with Pyrmont Bridge open, towards Wentworth Park and Blackwattle Bay and showing Western Distributor under construction. Commercial buildings include Bradmill in the foreground and Goldsbrough Mort. Photo taken before Darling Harbour redevelopment and Harbourside Shopping Centre.
IMAGE 5 - Darling Harbour Wharves and City Skyline - 1932
This is one image of the series taken by Harold Kerr capturing the operations of Darling Harbour wharves from 2000 through to its closure in 2007 and its demolition in 2008. South view of the passenger terminal looking towards Darling Harbour and the Australian National Maritime Museum.
IMAGE CREDIT: City of Sydney Archives