Ghastly ghostly sites of Sydney
By ALEC SMART
Supernatural fears have accompanied humans since the dawn of time, when we first descended from the trees and took up residence in dark and spooky caves. Spirituality and religion have attempted to explain or exploit these quirks of our overactive imaginations, with bizarre or often bloody consequences.
Gladesville Mental Hospital, Bedlam Point, Gladesville. Photo: Alec Smart
But despite clambering higher up the food chain from prey to alpha predator, our species seems unable to shake off our fears of the unknown...and the undead.
Whether scary stories give you the chills or make amusing cautionary tales, like unwanted hitchhikers clinging on the back of a moving truck, ghost legends remain attached to our folklore.
Our city is no exception. Sydney’s ghoulish ghostly spirits spook dogs and cause chills, with footsteps often heard from unseen feet.
Here we’ve identified a number of spooky spots, several of which are in close proximity to your neighbourhood. If you decide to visit these haunted sites after dark, remember to tell others where you’re going..
Royal Botanic Gardens, central Sydney.
A large collection of approximately 1000 Aboriginal artefacts and artworks was exhibited in the purpose-built Garden Palace for the Sydney International Exhibition in 1879. Tragically, on 22 Sept 1882, a fire engulfed the building, destroying “every publicly-owned artefact of the Aboriginal tribe, Eora, who inhabited the area before European settlement” as well as the results of the 1881 Census and other assorted government records along with sculptures and works of art.
The Garden Palace, a reworking of London’s doomed Crystal Palace (itself destroyed by fire in 1936), the former site is now enclosed within Sydney’s Royal Botanic Gardens at the southwestern end near Macquarie Street.
Although there is little trace of the Garden Palace where a Cupid statue now stands, it is among several sites in the Botanic Gardens reputedly haunted by various spectres. Rathborne Lodge, the 1856-built former residence of the Governor’s gardener towards the south-east corner, is reportedly haunted by a female ghost.
Capitol Theatre, 13 Campbell St, Haymarket, City
A male ‘phantom’ was reportedly seen roaming around the theatre premises during a refurbishment.
Hyde Park Barracks, central Sydney
The former barracks, hospital, convict accommodation, mint and courthouse located at Macquarie Street in the city centre was once a prison housing over 800 convicts. Numerous noisy ghosts reportedly wander the premises, some with heavy footsteps, including a very vocal former superintendent who has been heard using ‘extremely foul language’. A woman dressed in white has also been observed loitering beneath a fig tree in the forecourt or ‘floating across the theatrette’, and a man in prisoner’s uniform ‘hovers’ in a hallway.
Mortuary Station, Regent St, Chippendale
Mortuary Railway Station, also known as Necropolis Receiving Station (now known as Regent Street Railway Station), was a platform on Sydney's Rookwood Cemetery railway line. It also hosted funeral trains to Woronora General Cemetery in Sutherland and Sandgate Cemetery, Newcastle.
Funeral parties boarded special trains that transported them directly to the cemetery, with coffins loaded into a dedicated carriage behind the mourners.
The ornate Free Gothic style sandstone building (still standing) opened in June 1869 (although funeral services began in January) and continued as a funeral terminus until 1938, and thereafter used to transport (live) horses and dogs, followed by parcels from 1950. The dedicated cemetery line wasn’t closed until 3 April 1948.
The spirits of the departed who never departed the station are said to roam the platform.
Mortuary Station, Regent Street, Chippendale. Photo: Alec Smart
Central Railway Station, Haymarket
Devonshire Street Cemetery was Sydney’s principal graveyard from 1820 to its last burial in 1866, when it was over-capacity. Over the next two decades the site fell into ruin. In 1901, to allow construction of Central Railway Station, NSW Govt paid for the disinterment and relocation of 8,500 remains to metropolitan cemeteries chosen by those closest to the deceased.
The remaining 30,000+ unclaimed bodies were dug up and transported on a specially-built tram to La Perouse and buried in the new Bunnerong Cemetery. Construction of the railway proceeded, with Central Station opening on 4 Aug 1906.
During the 1960s-70s, four tunnels were dug and four platforms built. Platforms 24 & 25 for the Eastern Suburbs and Illawarra line were opened in 1979, however, above them, platforms 26 & 27, intended for an airport line, were never utilised. (When an airport line was eventually constructed for the 2000 Sydney Olympics, modern trains were too heavy for the load-bearing limits of platforms 26 & 27.)
The ghostly abandoned platforms included corridors leading to a disused station master’s office and toilets, and a disused jail cell complete with chains for shackling prisoners. Several rail employees and assorted other explorers have reported hearing voices there, despite the deserted platforms being deep underground beneath earth and concrete.
In 2019-20, workers adapting platforms 26 & 27 to house 17 new power and communications rooms for the Sydney Metro Rail reported hearing the sounds of children playing on the platforms.
Central Station, Haymarket. Photo: Alec Smart
The Rocks + Millers Point
The historic Rocks and Millers Pt neighbourhoods host many ghost tales, some attributed to the arrival of ‘black death’ in Jan 1900 via bubonic plague-infected ship rats, eventually killing 103 people.
Hero of Waterloo Hotel, 81 Lower Fort St, Millers Point
In 1849, Thomas Kirkman, landlord of this heritage-listed pub, reputedly pushed his wife Anne down the stairs to her death. Anne Kirkman’s ghost is believed to play late night piano music in the bar, and the venue website claims: “After upstairs functions rooms are reset for a new day, several chairs can be found facing the fireplace the next morning...”
A popular venue for ghost tours, a smugglers’ tunnel that reportedly once coursed from the cellar under the road was allegedly used by press gangs to ‘shanghai’ wayward seafarers. A young man too tipsy to return home might be pushed through a trapdoor into the basement cell. There he was bundled on a wheelbarrow and pushed through the tunnel, and later wake up a sailor on board a ship in the King’s Navy. The basement cellar shill has shackles on the wall.
The notorious cellar of the Hero of Waterloo, Millers Point. Photo: Alec Smart
Observatory Hill, Upper Fort Street, Millers Point
Observatory Hill was first named Windmill Hill by British colonists, because it was the site of Sydney’s first windmill. It featured a sandstone tower fitted with wheat-grinding machinery, built by emancipated Irish convict John Davis in 1796, why the area is known as Miller’s Point.
The windmill finished operation in 1800 when it was superseded by another further south, and Fort Phillip was built on the site – hence the name Fort St.
From 1825 the east parapet of the fort signalled to ships in the harbour via flags and semaphore, which lead to another name change: Flagstaff Hill.
In 1825 a hospital was built on the site, which in 1848 was converted to a primary school (still operating). In 1857 an observatory and astronomer’s residence were built at the hill’s peak, although it closed in 1982, due to light and pollution disrupting clear viewing, and is now a museum.
Spirits reputedly still linger in the Signal Masters cottage.
A ‘sad-looking’ boy, dressed in a white shirt with dark pants and carrying a chain in one hand, has been seen at the hilltop. He is reportedly the ghost of a 15-year-old ship’s cabin boy who was killed in a street fight nearby in the late 1880s.
A ghost tour operator claimed her uncle George, an illusionist magician from the early 1940s who performed under the stage name ‘Chandalu’, loiters at the top of Observatory Hill.
Recently, a woman published a night photo of a blurry man in an old-fashioned formal winter coat walking past the south facade of Sydney Observatory. Taken on 5 July 2008, she claimed the area was deserted at the time, apart from herself and her husband.
Darlinghurst Gaol, Forbes St, Darlinghurst
Once known for its brutality, the writer Henry Lawson (who served a short sentence within its walls) coined it ‘Starvinghurst Gaol’ due to the meagre rations the inmates received. Home of the National Art School since 1995, seventy-six people were hanged on the premises.
Between the gaol’s opening in 1841 and 1852, public hangings took place on a temporary scaffold erected above the main gate on Forbes Street. Thereafter, until 1908, executions continued inside the prison walls on a permanent scaffold in a corner of E-wing.
Some of the more (in)famous characters who dangled at the end of the hangman’s noose include bushrangers
Thomas and John Clarke; Irish Nationalist Henry O’Farrell (who on 12 March 1868, shot Queen Victoria’s youngest son Prince Alfred in the back whilst the prince was attending a picnic in Clontarf); notorious gay bushranger Captain Moonlite; Louisa Collins, the last woman hanged in NSW; and Jimmy Governor (the subject of the Thomas Kenneally novel and Fred Schepisi film Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith).
Many restless souls reputedly haunt this site, including executed prisoners. One of the apparitions is a ‘bodyless head’ near the men’s toilet block, adjacent to where the post-1852 scaffold stood.
Darlinghurst Gaol. Photo: Alec Smart
Tusculum House, 1-3 Manning Street, Potts Point
A female figure dressed in an old-fashioned nurse's uniform, reportedly haunts the balcony of this 1831-built mansion (now offices) and occasionally trigger burglar alarms.
Victoria Barracks, Oxford St, Paddington
Australia’s premier military training centre for a century (although it was occupied by British troops until 1870), the Regency-style Edwardian barracks were constructed between 1841-1846 by convict labour, with the Garrison Hospital, District Military Prison and Barrack Master’s bungalow built alongside.
According to Army Museum of NSW: “the prison is reputedly haunted by a ghost, Charlie the Redcoat, who hanged himself while incarcerated for shooting his sergeant.”
Camperdown Cemetery, Church St, Newtown
Adjoined to St Stephen’s Church, Newtown, the graveyard is referred to as Camperdown Cemetery because it was originally part of a property called ‘Camperdown’, bought from Governor Bligh’s son-in-law. He died shortly after it was opened in 1848 and his remains were the first to be interred.
Approximately 18,000 people were buried there over the next century, 16,000 within the first 20 years, because it was the Anglican Church’s principal cemetery.
It remains Sydney’s oldest surviving cemetery – two predecessors, Old Sydney Burial Ground and Devonshire Street Cemetery are now beneath Town Hall and Central Station, respectively, their occupants long ago reburied elsewhere.
Ghosts don’t often haunt graveyards, because their lives ended elsewhere, although a few ghosts loiter among the tombstones: a man dressed in brown who sits atop a gravestone, and a military figure who peers towards the sky from a telescope. Bathsheba, a senior matron at Sydney Infirmary and Dispensary (now Sydney Hospital) from 1852-66, is often claimed to roam the premises, but that’s probably because her surname was, strangely, ‘Ghost’.
However, an horrific murder occurred in the grounds of Camperdown Cemetery on 11 June 1946, and some say the victim’s soul still haunts the premises. Joan Ginn, 11, was abducted when she went out to purchase bread from a milk bar on King St, and led to the graveyard where she was raped and bludgeoned to death.
Although witnesses recalled Joan was last seen accompanied by a ‘dishevelled’ man in an overcoat with his hat pulled down over his eyes, the crime was never solved. The graveyard was then in a ruinous state and overgrown with long grass, and the heinous murder spurred the authorities to act. On the western side they removed the tombstones and converted the cemetery into a memorial grassed field – Camperdown Memorial Park - however, the remaining graves in the walled-off smaller section surrounding the church are still in terminal decline.
Camperdown Cemetery, St Stephen's Church, Newtown. Photo: Alec Smart
Flour Drum Cafe, 531 King Street, Newtown
In Feb 2015, when new proprietors moved into Flour Drum Café, they reported strange paranormal activity on the premises. Media coverage quoted the new owner as saying “glass jars would strangely get broken. Taps would come on. We'd make sure we turned all the lights off and we'd come back and they would all be on.” A previous manager revealed that two customers on separate occasions had seen a “little girl in a petticoat”.
The ghostly girl was apparently placated when the new proprietors found a dolls’ house in the street, and brought it back to the café. "As soon as the dolls' house came in the trouble stopped," they declared.
However, there has been a murder on the premises.
According to the Canberra Times, on 22 June 1942, “while working in his fruit shop in King Street, Newtown, Sebastiano D'Andrea, 45, an Italian, was shot in the stomach by an intruder and died later in hospital…”
On 15 July 1944, an 18-year-old labourer, John Henry Joseph Woods, was arrested and on 5 Sept convicted for the murder of the Italian fruiterer. He escaped the death sentence and was sentenced to life imprisonment instead because he was under 18 at the time he committed the crime.
Perhaps poor Mr D'Andrea’s spirit is still haunting his former fruit shop.
Glebe + Annandale
The Abbey, 272 Johnston St, Annandale
The Abbey is a heritage-listed 50-bedroom Federation Gothic style mansion built by architect and Freemason John Young in 1881 of quarried Pyrmont sandstone. It is the most stylish of eight properties built by Young along a ridge above Rozelle Bay (two of which were demolished to build apartments).
Young, the builder of St Mary’s Cathedral in the city, decorated The Abbey in Masonic symbols. Gargoyles on the tower are rumoured to have been spirited away from St Mary’s by Young.
It is reportedly haunted by a “lady in white” who roams the house and grounds, and doors and windows are said to open by themselves.
The Abbey, Johnston St, Annandale. Photo: Alec Smart
Railway embankment, Glebe (behind the Jubilee Park viaduct)
Two 12-year-old boys were sexually assaulted and murdered here, six months apart, by the same killer in June 1976 and January 1977.
[On 9 July 1976, Garry Barkemeyer was sexually assaulted and clubbed to death with a rock.
Gary was lured with a younger friend to Jubilee Park from a park on Pyrmont Bridge Rd, with the promise of money if he helped stack boxes.
After the younger boy was instructed to wait, Gary was led by his killer behind the Jubilee Park viaduct into a forested glade where he was raped and murdered. The killer told the other boy to go home after the heinous crime was committed. The victim’s bicycle, upon which the two young lads travelled, was later fished from Iron Cove by Callan Park.
On 30 Jan 1977, Wayne Nixon, who was enticed by his killer from Leichardt Pool earlier in the day, was stabbed multiple times in the chest, stomach and legs after being sexually assaulted.]
Mark Gregory, 17, was arrested a year later and charged with both murders and in March 1978 convicted and given two life sentences.
Glitch: The murders are often described as happening on the ‘Street with no name’, the driveway between Jubilee Park and the viaduct, although they took place in the forest on the other side, now encircled by fencing.
Overgrown path behind Glebe Viaduct, Forest Lodge. Photo: Alec Smart
Light rail tracks beside Jubilee Park, Glebe
In January 1966, a railway worker named Jock attempted to rescue an injured possum on what was then part of the Rozelle to Darling Harbour Metropolitan Goods Line (now the route of the Inner West Light Rail from Central to Dulwich Hill).
In the fog near what is now Jubilee Park tram stop he was tragically struck and killed by a goods train that roared out of the mist.
Glitch: The legend claims the killing happened the day before the line was permanently closed – yet the line was closed in January 1996, after goods trains declined, not 1966, when it was a busy freight line.
Federal Park car park, Annandale
In 1976, a girl’s body was alleged to have been found “dumped in the carpark”, which suggests it was Federal Park.
Glitch: The legend describes the young victim as “thought to have been the victim of Sydney's first Satanic murder.” Paranormal websites all repeat the same information, often word-for-word, however, there are no police files nor newspaper reports of a girl’s body found near Jubilee Park in 1976, nor why it might have ‘Satanic’ elements.
Jubilee Park Grandstand, Glebe
In the early hours of 24 August 1999, Reginald Mavin, 65, was clubbed to death in his sleep by an unknown assailant as he lay on an old mattress in the grandstand overlooking Jubilee Oval.
The former ambulance driver was one of four unsolved killings of vagrants over nine months between 1998 – 1999, known as the Starlight Hotel Murders, because the victims slept outside, often under the stars.
All of the unsolved murders shared common characteristics: the victims were bashed with heavy blunt objects (never found), they were all attacked as they slept, and each suffered mental illness or alcoholism.
The other three were: Joanna Franklin, 30, behind shops in Wattle Place, Ultimo, on 6 Nov 1998; Adam Murray, 59, by Robert Burns statue near Speakers Corner in the Domain, on 28 Nov 1998; and Ronald Cross, 59, in an alcove near the underground entrance to the Domain car park off Sir John Young Crescent, on 20 June 1999.
"Street with no name" - Jubilee Park, Glebe. Photo: Alec Smart
268 Glebe Point Road, Glebe
On 18 May 1968, Simon Brook, aged 3, was abducted and brutally murdered, his body found the following morning in grass behind a construction site of new units at 268 Glebe Point Road. He had been suffocated with two wads of newspaper jammed down his throat, but also had his throat slashed and the lower half of his body was stripped and slashed with the same razor, found lying between the boy’s shoes.
Although it’s listed as an unsolved murder, Simon’s parents, who lived in Alexander Lane near Jubilee Park (where Simon was last seen watching kids playing), are convinced his killer was Derek Percy. Percy, the primary suspect, who died of cancer, aged 64, in a Melbourne hospital on 24 July 2013, was linked to the disappearance of nine children. Percy was also one of three suspects accused of the infamous 1965 Wanda Beach murders near Cronulla. In 1969 he was jailed for life for the murder of a child on a Melbourne beach.
Lower Parramatta River
Cockatoo Island, western Sydney Harbour
Originally a forested, 12.9 hectare island named Wa-rea-mah by Indigenous Australians, British colonists levelled and extended the sandstone plateau to 17.9 hectares. From 1839, when barracks and silos were built, to 1869, Cockatoo Island was used for grain storage and a harsh punishment prison for convicts who re-offended and, from 1857, shipbuilding and servicing of naval vessels, which continued until 1986.
In 1869, after several reports described the prison administration as ‘brutalising’ and ‘terrible in depravity’, convicts were relocated to Darlinghurst Gaol, and in 1871 the island transitioned to the Biloela Reformatory and a separate Industrial School for Girls.
At the Reformatory, orphaned and ‘wayward’ girls aged 8-18 (some convicted of crimes), were housed in dormitories and cruelly trained for a life of domestic servitude. Girls who misbehaved were locked up in the same solitary cells previously used to confine unruly convicts.
In 1879, after an Inquiry, the reformatory girls were relocated to Watsons Bay and in 1888 the Industrial School girls moved to Parramatta. The former confinement sector reverted to a prison to alleviate overcrowding at Darlinghurst Gaol, remaining ‘temporary’ in status until its closure in 1908.
The combination of deaths in custody, maltreatment of children and fatalities of ship-workers means a variety of spectres haunt the island, including a schoolgirl named Millie who wanders Biloela House.
Cockatoo Island, western Sydney Harbour. Photo: Alec Smart
Callan Park Hospital for the Insane, Balmain Rd, Lilyfield
Callan Park Hospital for the Insane, consisting of over 130 buildings, was opened in 1878 on the shores of Iron Cove. The facility was launched with the stated intention to improve patient’s lives through psychiatric treatment, a relatively new medical discipline. Previously, disturbed inmates were chained up and beaten like wild animals, as no remedial drugs or therapies were available to treat various mental disorders.
However, Callan Park’s reputation almost a century later revealed administrators systemically failed to implement humanitarian relief. The Stoller Report of 1955 confirmed overcrowding, squalor and stench. A 1961 Royal Commission found staff were starving, intimidating, assaulting and failing to clean patients.
Callan Park eventually became Rozelle Hospital, and the last patients left in April 2008.
It is said many bodies of patients were buried anonymously in unmarked graves. Some died through neglect, others, ignored by their families due to the ongoing social stigma of mental health, just wasted away in the institution.
Ghostly figures are said to wander the grounds, and icy chills experienced in the heritage-listed Kirkbride, the central block of former treatment rooms and patient dormitories.
A supernatural horror feature film, Ravenswood, was filmed over 2 weeks in 2016, mainly at night, and the crew reportedly experienced constant “eeriness”, with one member refusing to return to the film set after he was spooked by something.
Callan Park Mental Hospital, Balmain Rd, Lilyfield. Photo: Alec Smart
Gladesville Mental Hospital, Bedlam Point, Gladesville
Originally known as Tarban Creek Lunatic Asylum, Australia’s first mental hospital was built on the aptly-named Bedlam Point beside Parramatta River. Opened in 1838 with 60 patients for a new trend of humanely treating the mentally afflicted, by 1844 there were 148 inmates and rumours of cruel punishments including prolonged restraints and sexual abuse of female patients - which persisted for decades.
A July 1850 Medical Board of Inquiry convened to investigate the deaths of two patients found that the institution was to blame.
In Jan 1869, new methods of treating psychiatric disorders prompted a name change to Hospital for the Insane, to suggest a departure from the previous tactic of isolating mentally ill people from society. However, brutal treatment continued, with patients detained for ludicrous disorders such as ‘sexual intemperance’, ‘overwork’, ‘sun stroke’ and ‘nostalgia’, often treated with repeat electric shocks.
There were many deaths, including a few employees attacked by patients. Records reveal 1,228 patients are buried on the north-eastern corner of the 25.4 hectare site in unmarked graves.
Although the names of 923 of the deceased are listed on Health Department records, the identities of those in 305 graves are untraceable.
Their ghosts are said to wander the asylum grounds, parts of which are now derelict.
In the 2011 Head On Photo Festival, photographer Yvette Worboys held an exhibition of the hospital’s derelict buildings, titled Ghosts. She claimed ‘psychics’ detected a spectral presence in her photo of a white brick wall covered in vines, loitering to the left of an empty doorway.
Abbotsford Animal Quarantine Station, 50 Spring St, Abbotsford
Adjacent to Parramatta River, and now a public park called Quarantine Reserve, the Abbotsford Animal Quarantine Station, initially housed livestock and pets that were imported to Australia and brought her by punt. Built between 1917 and 1930 and relocated in 1980 to Wallgrove, the waterfront site was chosen because the original Quarantine Station at Bradley’s Head was chosen for Taronga Zoo.
The animals kept here were quarantined and monitored by vets until they were cleared as disease-free and released to their owners.
Park users have reported strange animal-like sounds and apparitions of creatures on the reserve.
Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery, Gore Hill, St Leonards
Established in May 1868, the graveyard was subdivided into different religious denominations – unlike the Anglican-run Camperdown Cemetery.
14,456 burials took place between the first interment in 1877 and its last in 1974, although most took place in the three decades from 1900 - 1930. Only 8,000 graves feature headstones, like Barney Kieran, a record-breaking world champion swimmer who died in 1905 aged 19, following an appendectomy. The rest, including remains transferred from the redeveloped Devonshire St Cemetery, are unmarked.
Australia’s first Saint, Mary MacKillop, was buried in the Catholic section from 1909 to 1914, when her remains were exhumed and transferred to the Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel in North Sydney. Ghost tour guides suggest MacKillop was relocated because Catholics were scooping dirt from her grave site as a souvenir to pray on, and there was worry they’d eventually dig down far enough to expose her remains.
Ghost-watchers claim there are resident spectres in Gore Hill Cemetery, perhaps unfortunate people who passed-on from Royal North Shore Hospital alongside. Among these were several victims of the deadly 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, which caused 3,902 deaths in Sydney of the estimated 20,000 nationwide (and 20 million worldwide).
Also among the spectres reported are “a woman in black Victorian garb perhaps dating from the 1870s”, said to be mourning a child, and “the dark silhouette of a walking old man.”
Gore Hill Cemetery. Photo: Alec Smart
The Quarantine Station, North Head, Manly
The Q Station, on an isolated stretch of forested headland leading down to a cove, was utilised to intern those arriving by sea to Sydney if they were infected (or suspected to be infected) with contagious diseases.. From 1833 to 1954 the facility, including shower units at the dockside, a hospital and dormitories, quarantined and treated over 26,000 contaminated immigrants with diseases like Bubonic Plague, Cholera, Influenza, Smallpox, Tuberculosis and Typhoid.
However, there were many deaths of people too sick to be allowed into the community. Visitors have since reported sightings of spirits and mysterious figures, especially at the haunted shower block.
Wakehurst Parkway, Garigal National Park
Wakehurst Parkway is a 13km road between French’s Forest and Narrabeen through forested Garigal National Park. The resident ghost, ‘Kelly’, sometimes seen at Middle Creek Bridge, was long thought to be wearing a nun’s habit. However, it has recently been suggested she is wearing an old-style nurse’s uniform typical of those working at the Quarantine Station prior to its closure in 1954.
Quarantine Station, North Head, Manly. Photo: Alec Smart
Other haunted inns with spirits beyond the alcoholic kind:
Carlisle Castle Hotel, 17-19 Albermarle St, Newtown
Lord Nelson Hotel, 19 Kent St, The Rocks
Russell Hotel, 143A George St, The Rocks
Empire Hotel, 32 Darlinghurst Rd, Kings Cross
Australian Heritage Hotel, 100 Cumberland St, The Rocks
Mill Hill Hotel, 59 Oxford St, Bondi Junction
Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay
Henry Head Battery, La Perouse
Old Government House, Parramatta
Parramatta Gaol, Parramatta, Sydney
Studley Park, Carramar
St Bartholomew’s Church, Blacktown
James Busby High School, Green Valley
K Block, TAFE College, Liverpool
Town Hall Theatre, Campbelltown
Fisher’s Ghost Creek, Campbelltown
Macquarie Fields train station, Macquarie Fields
Old Helensburgh Railway Tunnels, Helensburgh
Waterfall Sanitorium, Waterfall
St Thomas’ Anglican Church, Mulgoa
St Columba’s Catholic College, Springwood
Redbank Range former railway tunnel, Picton
Studley Park House mansion, Camden
Monte Christo Homestead, Junee
Maitland Gaol, Maitland
Jenolan Caves, Blue Mountains
Milparinka former gold mining town
Berrima Court House, Berrima.
Trial Bay Gaol, Arakoon National Park
Lithgow town, Blue Mountains
Bald Hill Tourist Mine former gold mine, Hill End
St John’s Orphanage, Goulburn
Castlereagh General Cemetery, Castlereagh
Photos by Alec Smart