top of page

Murder in Crows Nest and the Life of Charles le Gallien

In the dimly lit engineering workshop in Crows Nest, the lifeless body of Charles Louis le Gallien lay sprawled on the floor, a grim testimony to a brutal murder that would shake the North Shore of Sydney to its core. The sheer savagery of the attack was evident: the walls and desk splattered with blood, his left ear severed, and wounds that spoke of unchecked rage and violence.

Charles Louis le Gallien murder in Crows Nest

Detectives were tipped off by a call from Miss Edith Grace de Groen. Trembling with fear, relaying a cryptic message from the deceased. She had expected to share a meal with Charles that evening, in her apartment at 97 Bent Street, Neutral Bay, but the increasing number of calls from him, growing more urgent with each passing minute, hinted at a looming danger he couldn't escape from. She begged the police to race to Charles’ workshop at 319 Pacific Highway Crows Nest, but they were too late.

As Superintendent James, Detective-Inspector Ramus, and a fleet of officers from the Scientific Bureau descended upon the crime scene, the powerful arc lights revealed the chilling details of the office interior and the body that lay within.

The search for evidence uncovered traces of blood in a washbasin, suggesting the murderer had cleaned up before fleeing. But the office bore no signs of a struggle, leading investigators to believe that Charles was caught off guard, and brutally attacked from behind while he was on the phone. A postmortem revealed death by a three-inch blade wound to the heart at approximately 9 p.m. on September 30th, 1948.

The investigation took detectives to the Le Gallien family home where the tapestry of Charles’ complex life began to unravel. Charles, a talented engineer and a titan in his field, led a life marred with contradictions. Despite the façade of a family man and a successful businessman, he led a double life – that of a playboy. The whispers of his secret dalliances, particularly with the mysterious Edith, brought to the forefront more questions than answers. Charles had left his family home at 75 Chelmsford Avenue, East Lindfield 10 months earlier to set up a love nest in an exclusive hotel in Kirribilli.

Theories abounded. Some whispered of a jealous lover, scorned and enraged. Others suggested that the deceased had a secret harem of lovers. But the secretive man covered his tracks too well for detectives, for they struggled to identify any other than Miss de Groen.

But as the hunt for Charles’ elusive lovers continued, an unexpected twist came into the light. Charles Ivan le Gallien, the 17-year-old son of the murdered man, found himself in the eye of the storm, ensnared by accusations and suspicions. As the threads of the investigation tugged at the frayed edges of the le Gallien family fabric, secrets threatened to emerge.

On October 5th, Charles Ivan was formally charged with murdering his own father.

The Inquest

On October 20th, a Coroner's Inquest was held to examine the circumstances surrounding the alleged case of patricide. Charles Ivan Le Gallien, the accused, was brought to court amidst much public interest. The courtroom was packed, indicating the sensation the case had caused in the public sphere. He was represented by a noted barrister, Mr. James John Benedict Kinkead K.C.

Key Testimonies

Constable Klyne: Described a past altercation between Charles and his father, in which the father was intoxicated and Charles made threats against him.

Reginald James Turk: A colleague of Charles, spoke about discussions on potential ways to kill Charles’ father, including hiring him to commit the crime. Under cross-examination, he revealed that the discussions were not always serious in nature, and were sometimes just banter among young men.

Harold Mahony: Revealed an offer made by Charles to kill his father for £1000 and a car. Charles suggested poisoning his father’s schooner of beer at the Union Hotel, North Sydney, the deceased’s watering hole. It was to have happened on the night the murder took place. Under cross-examination, Mahony admitted that he thought Charles Ivan was deadly serious about the offer.

Detective Inspector Ramus: Presented Charles' confession, in which Charles detailed a heated conversation with his father in the Crows Nest workshop that escalated to violence, resulting in the stabbing arising from a desire to defend himself out of fear for his own safety. He claims his father did not want medical treatment and told him to go home after.

Following the testimonies and evidence, the defense counsel, Mr. Kinkead, advised Charles not to provide testimony. The coroner then made the decision to commit Charles Ivan Le Gallien for trial without bail.

The Trial

The autumn chill in Darlinghurst Court was tangible, but it was nothing compared to the cold weight of anticipation hanging in the air on Wednesday, November 24th. Whispers filled the room as curious spectators filled every available seat, eager to witness the trial of Charles Ivan le Gallien. Accused of murdering his father, Charles Louis le Gallien, the young man stood tall and pleaded ‘not guilty.’

On the first day, the Crown prosecutor, the imposing Mr. R. V. Rooney, K.C., presented his case. Charles had allegedly slain his father after a heated argument over money turned physical. But the plot thickened: witnesses would claim Charles had spoken of orchestrating his father's death to cash in on the insurance, offering staggering sums to anyone willing to do the deed.

Edith Grace de Groen, aged 30, was the first to take the stand, her testimony scrutinised by Mr. Kinkead. Tensions mounted as de Groen was questioned about her relationship with the deceased, hinting at past indiscretions and an affair that had lasted since she was employed by Charles Louis as a typist when she was 16 and Charles was 35.

Day two saw four young men — Carroll, McGill, Turk, and Mahoney — echoing their testimonies from the coronial inquest.

By day three, the courtroom held its collective breath as Charles Ivan recounted the fateful night, painting a turbulent picture of a fractured family. Tales of domestic strife and betrayal set the backdrop: a father wanting to abandon his family for another woman, Betty de Groen. But it was the story of that night that gripped everyone — a brutal altercation, an act of self-defense, a penknife turned deadly weapon. And after? A young man trying to grapple with the horror of his actions, attempting to clean up and conceal the reality of what had happened.

Mr. Rooney's cross-examination was relentless, highlighting discrepancies and confronting Charles with hard truths about his lifestyle. Was he the neglected son fighting for his family’s honor, or was he a privileged young man whose desires spiraled into tragedy?

The courtroom watched, captivated and torn, as truths, half-truths, and possible fabrications wove together, each revelation shedding new light on that fateful night. With emotions running high and testimonies sending shockwaves through the gallery, the gavel finally fell. The court was adjourned until the following day.

As the sun rose on the fourth day of the trial, the tension in the courtroom was palpable. The days leading up to this moment had been filled with shocking testimonies, and the atmosphere was thick with anticipation. Mrs. Le Gallien's testimony painted a vivid picture of a household marred by alcoholism, rash decisions, and violence. Her revelations about the night of the murder further implicated her son, Charles Ivan, in her husband's death. She confessed to knowing Charles had killed his father, and then lied to detectives about his whereabouts that night in order to protect him from the law.

On the fifth day, Mr. Kinkead's comments regarding Miss de Groen provoked a mixture of amusement and shock from the public galleries. The implication was clear: there was something more to Miss de Groen's relationship with the deceased than met the eye. But Mr. Rooney's stern defense reminded the court to focus on the facts at hand, rather than indulge in salacious speculations.

By the sixth day, the momentum seemed to favour the prosecution. Mr. Rooney’s address to the jury was forceful. He portrayed Charles Ivan le Gallien as a young man so desperate for his father’s death that he might have outsourced the murder. The Crown's suggestion of a quick and brutal attack, rather than a prolonged struggle, seemed to align more with the evidence presented. The references to Shakespeare's King Lear further emphasised the tragic and emotional gravity of a son's betrayal.

Mr. Justice Herron's concluding remarks were an amalgamation of wisdom and sternness. The judge was clear in asserting that nothing that transpired within the tumultuous le Gallien household could justify murder. No marital betrayal, no household discord, no youthful impulse was an excuse for taking another's life.

And then came the climax everyone had been waiting for - the jury’s decision. The courtroom held its breath as the foreman announced the verdict: guilty. Charles Ivan le Gallien, just 17 years old, was condemned to a lifetime in penal servitude. In Justice Herron’s eyes, this case was more than just one family's tragedy; it was symptomatic of a growing juvenile delinquency problem in the city that needed to be stamped out.

Justice Herron received death threats after handing down this sentence and was forced to live under police protection, the bodyguard becoming his golfing partner.

Charles Ivan le Gallien was sent to Long Bay prison until being transferred to Goulburn where in 1955, he completed his leaving certificate with a B in English. He played saxophone with the prison orchestra until he was released by the Minister of Justice on parole in 1960 due to a strong belief the man had been reformed.


bottom of page